Title: Chicken Bolognese with Homemade Tomato Sauce
For the Tomato Sauce:
- 2 cans (28 oz each) peeled tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional, to balance acidity)
For the Chicken Mince:
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chicken stock powder
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons of the prepared tomato sauce
For the Pasta:
- 1 pound spaghetti
- Salt for pasta water
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil leaves, chopped
**1. Make the Tomato Sauce:**
1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add the chopped onion, carrot, and celery. Sauté for about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are softened.
3. Add the minced garlic and red pepper flakes. Sauté for an additional 1 minute until fragrant.
4. Pour in the canned peeled tomatoes with their juices and break them apart using a wooden spoon.
5. Stir in the tomato paste, dried oregano, and dried basil. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
6. If using, pour in the red wine and add the optional sugar to balance acidity.
7. Bring the sauce to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low. Let it cook uncovered for about 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens and the flavors meld together.
8. Once done, use an immersion blender to blend the sauce until smooth. Alternatively, you can carefully transfer the sauce to a regular blender in batches to blend until smooth.
**2. Prepare the Chicken Mince:**
1. In a separate skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add the ground chicken and cook, breaking it apart with a spoon, until no longer pink and cooked through.
3. Sprinkle chicken stock powder over the cooked chicken and stir well.
4. Add Dijon mustard and 2 tablespoons of the prepared tomato sauce to the chicken. Stir to combine. Let it cook for another 2-3 minutes to infuse the flavors. Remove from heat and set aside.
**3. Cook the Pasta:**
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
2. Add the spaghetti and cook according to the package instructions until al dente.
3. Drain the pasta and set aside.
**4. Combine and Serve:**
1. Combine the cooked chicken mince with the tomato sauce, stirring well to combine the flavors.
2. Serve the chicken Bolognese sauce over the cooked spaghetti.
3. Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh basil leaves.
4. Serve hot and enjoy!
This recipe yields a delicious chicken Bolognese with a flavorful tomato sauce. Feel free to adjust the seasonings and ingredients to suit your taste preferences.