**Gluten-Free Chicken Schnitzel Austrian Recipe**
- 4 chicken breast strips, about two fingers wide
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Oil, for frying (vegetable, sunflower, or canola oil)
- Lemon wedges, for serving
1. **Prep the Chicken Strips:**
- Start by patting the chicken strips dry with paper towels. This helps the breading adhere better to the meat.
- Season the chicken strips with salt and pepper on both sides.
2. **Prepare the Breading Stations:**
- Set up three shallow bowls or plates. In the first bowl, place the gluten-free all-purpose flour. In the second bowl, beat the eggs. In the third bowl, mix the gluten-free breadcrumbs with paprika.
3. **Coat the Chicken:**
- Dredge each chicken strip in the flour, shaking off any excess.
- Dip the floured chicken strip into the beaten eggs, making sure it's fully coated.
- Transfer the chicken strip to the breadcrumb mixture and press the breadcrumbs onto the chicken, ensuring an even coating. Gently shake off any excess breadcrumbs.
4. **Heat the Oil:**
- In a sturdy pot, pour enough oil to submerge the chicken strips. Heat the oil over medium-high heat until it reaches about 350°F (175°C). You can test the oil's readiness by dropping a small breadcrumb into the oil ? it should sizzle and rise to the surface.
5. **Frying the Chicken:**
- Carefully place the breaded chicken strips into the hot oil using a mesh skimmer. Avoid overcrowding the pot; you may need to fry the chicken in batches.
- Fry the chicken strips for about 3-4 minutes on each side or until they turn golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C). Use the mesh skimmer to flip the chicken strips and remove them from the oil.
6. **Drain and Serve:**
- Place the fried chicken strips on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
- Serve the gluten-free chicken schnitzel hot with lemon wedges on the side for squeezing over the schnitzel.
- Traditional accompaniments include potato salad, lingonberry sauce, and a side of vegetables.
Enjoy your homemade gluten-free Austrian chicken schnitzel! The crispy and flavorful breading combined with the juicy chicken makes for a delicious meal.